Saturday, June 26, 2010

Herd Dynamics

Every horse is an individual and fits in a particular place within the herd hierarchy. I thought you'd like to here a short little story that pertains to your horses!

Last night at feeding time the sky was dark purple, there was a humid breeze blowing through the barn, and the rumble of thunder was making a bee-line for our farm. I saw lightening off in the distance as well, but there was no rain just yet.

I turned Dancer and Shellie out immediately, hoping that they could stretch their legs before the down pour. If it got too scary I would likely have brought them back into the barn (not because I am a softy!) because these sensitive girls prefer the safety of the stall. I went to take JW out of the stall but noticed he had some discharge from his nose, a little more than usual, and I figured getting completely drenched in a storm wouldn't be good for his special sinuses, so I threw him more hay and left him in.

I waited and waited and still no rain! All the symptoms of the storm were evident, but it had not, and was not going to, manifest itself. So at 10:30pm I went out, flashlight in hand, to turn the old boy out.

Here is where the story actually gets interesting.

It seemed more dark than usual but the moon was full and bright! My guess is that the sky was cloudy and light wasn't getting to us.. or something. But man, it was dark! JW nickered at the Thoroughbred gals as we walked by and they came to visit. We finally made it to his pasture gate and I brought him in, undid the halter, and stepped back. He just stood there. So I turned off the flash light so his eyes could adjust. He stood still, listening, then let out a loud call to his buddies who were no where to be seen. The sound of hooves pounding got my heart bumping. All four pasture mates came galloping up, little Casanova returned JW's call with a girly one of his own. Magic lead the group through the darkness and stopped them about 10 feet from JW. JW had not moved an inch yet - I still don't think he could see. Then Magic walked away from the herd, greeted JW with a very long sniff, and allowed him into the herd. Then all 5 hung together, sniffing and talking, before quietly walking back off into the darkness.

Isn't it so cool how welcomed JW must have felt in his herd? And how Magic lead his followers to find a lost "sheep"? And Cas, the adorable talker, couldn't help but say "We're coming!!" as they cantered up to the gate. And even Dusty, Mr. Independent, stopped what he was doing to follow his leader and greet his pasture mate.

I could watch horses interact with one another all day long, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment