Friday, February 12, 2010

Can't this rain wait until Spring?

It's been raining for 15 hours here at the farm. This morning it was a frigid, wet 30 degrees. Luckily the barn was about 45 degrees inside - 7 masticating, blanketed horses tends to warm things up a bit! It rained through the night, through morning feeding, and all afternoon. I checked on the horses periodically, making sure they were keeping warm under their wet blankets. It appears that a few of the blankets are waterproof and a few are not, but either way the blankets are keeping them warm.

The horses are still in the barn. I can't bring myself to toss them out into the miserable, cold rain to slop around in the mud. The horses may disagree! Betsy and Shellie are trying to tell me that I forgot to let them out!
I brought Tav into a stall since he looked so lonely out in the pasture, hiding from the rain under the trees.



Dusty was covered in mud.

Wet Magic face.


Pasture 5 looks like a lake at the gate! I checked under everyone's blanket to see how damp they were and then decide whether or not to take them off. Everyone was warm underneath their blankets - some blankets kept the water off their fur completely, and some didn't. But even the damp-furred ponies were warm. Since it is 45 degrees outside I think it's best to keep the blankets on! Magic and Dusty have dry blankets for back-up. I have a dry blanket that's pretty big, so Cas can use that one. Bodhi's back-up is soaked, so we'll have to dry his.



Cas smudged my camera lens. He's a cutie.


Shellie watching the rain fall from the safety of her stall.


Bodhi has droplets streaming down his long forelock.

Cas's curious ears.

1 comment:

  1. it is horrible and gross today! thanks for the pictures of the wet ponies! poor guys!

    ReplyDelete