Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Frozen troughs and frosty pastures

It is cold.
We head out to feed at 6:30am. Troughs are frozen solid, water buckets are filled with chunks of ice, ice patches form from the dripping hoses. Yes, it's freezing. Well below freezing!


We get the horses out of their stalls as early as possible to stretch and move and warm up. This morning the girls went out first. For some reason they all followed Fatso-Satin into Pasture 2 (normally where Pokey and Tie live). John tried to encourage them out the back gate of that pasture but they wouldn't willingly budge from the hay. So he just left them there and put Pokey and Tie in the girls' pasture. Get their brain juices flowing from the pasture change!

It's almost 1:00pm and the temperature hasn't risen above 39 degrees, so I can't in good judgment take anyone's blanket off! But they need to be brushed and roll, so if you can come out and give your horse a break from their blanket, please do! I may take their blankets off for an hour if the wind dies down... Or maybe only 20 minutes! I am sure everyone is feeling cramped and restricted in their blankets.

Stuff for sale!
I am personally selling 3 Wintec saddles. A friend of mine dropped off a pair of leather english riding boots to see if anyone is interested. I think they are size 8. They are in the tack room if you want a look. Just make an offer and let me know.
If you'd like to sell something and want me to advertise, just shoot me a note. Or, you can just post a note in the barn for everyone to see!

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment